Tuesday, June 17, 2003

If you know me, welcome. This is my replacement of sorts for the e-mail updates I used to send. I think it's more convenient for everyone to check it out at their leisure than to keep figuring out who does or doesn't want to receive my clever little missives.

If you don't know me, welcome. You can get a pretty good idea of who I am from my blog, or, failing that, the links on the side. If you find this interesting, I'm glad. If not, au revoir.

So, at the moment I'm at home, nestled along the Missouri river in glorious St. Louis suburbia. Believe it or not, I've just returned from the University of Chicago; the quarter system pushed finals all the way to last week. But no matter; I've survived my second year [not "sophomore year"; the U of C takes pride in its own peculiar terminology] with an intact concentration [not "major", of course] in mathematics.

I'll be back at the U of C in a week, working at what's called a "Research Experience for Undergraduates". What that's supposed to mean is that the government gives students a grant to work with professors and each other, doing some minor research project for the summer and presenting the results. If that's so, then I believe I'm defrauding the government this summer. The math department's philosophy of teaching includes the point that any original undergraduate work in math won't be worth the ink it's printed in. Therefore, I'll be paid to take math classes [which only sounds like fun to me] and to help tutor 9th and 10th graders at a summer math camp [which more people can agree will be exciting].

I'll be house-sitting for a professor who takes a long vacation each summer [partially because his house has no AC] and leaves its upkeep to students. I have five other housemates, making it some nerd-infested version of "The Real World" [which, come to think of it, I've never bothered to watch]. Anyhow, it appears to be a setup for an enjoyable eight weeks.

I'll post more as my schedule allows. Aw, who am I kidding? I have nothing to do here for most of the time. So I'll just post again when I'm feeling less lazy.

No comments: