Tuesday, July 08, 2003

The Excluded Middle

Wouldn't that be the best name ever for a punk band? Of course, I don't think (pU~p) would make the best album cover, but there could be something there...

It's been a good week so far. The students are getting sharper, learning to visualize three dimensions, to find their own mistakes in calculation, to develop mathematical intuition. It's incredible to watch that "Aha!" moment.

Another thing that's incredible to watch is the storm system that's been all over Chi-town this week. Sadly, I slept through the 4 AM gales that uprooted trees over the weekend, and the golf ball-sized hail mostly passed north of us, but I've been around for the driving rain and lightning strikes.

My sister Katie is coming up to Chicago tomorrow to stay at the house. She's going into her senior year of high school, looking for colleges that will advance her aspiring career as a film actress. She's already decided to avoid the University of Chicago, primarily because I go there and because "Chicago's so boring!". I shan't say much more about her, or else she'll probably hurt me.

If she's nice to me, she can stay until Saturday, when we drive up to Michigan for my big fat French-Irish family reunion. On my dad's side alone, I have 14 aunts and uncles (counting those related by marriage) and (hoo boy, my family will know if I'm way off on this) nearly 30 cousins. So water balloon tosses, barbecued food, three-legged races, and the like are in store for us. Should be a blast.

If you like this sort of thing, you may find it the sort of thing you like:


Well, I'm off. Peace!


No comments: