Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Humility
(with a nod to C.S. Lewis)

A truly humble person does not self-deprecate, because he or she has more important things to discuss than himself or herself. In fact, he or she is interested in you, in your life, in what you want to say. This goes beyond listening to you. He or she gives advice without condescending, disagrees without disrespecting, jokes without mocking, inspires without shaming, admires without envying. He or she never plays the martyr. That’s why you hardly ever think to yourself, “That’s humility!” Instead, you simply enjoy his or her company.

In case you’re wondering, I’m not humble. You know that already, of course, but you wondered if I thought I was. I know I'm not. It’s just that I’ve begun to appreciate it in others.

No comments: