Tuesday, September 02, 2003

A Down-Tempo Day

I can always use music to test the speed of my mental processes. When my mind is overactive and starved for stimuli, everything slows for me. The beats of, let’s say, “Oye Como Va” are spaced epochs apart today. However, when I’m agitated, or caffeinated, any rock song becomes almost punk to me. Is this just me?

In other news, for my mom’s birthday we all went to see “The Lion King” on stage. It’s one of the most visually staggering productions I’ve ever seen, and so merits watching. The downside: the extra hour of the show is made up of filler material and a few substandard songs, not any interesting deviations from the structure of the cartoon.

Oh, and I finished “Crime and Punishment” this weekend. I thought it was great; I wanted to speed-read because I really came to care about what happened to them, and at the same time I wanted to slow down and examine the ideas and the prose. It does take about a hundred pages to get going, and the ending disappointed me a bit. So it doesn’t quite crack my Top 5, but it’s still the best I’ve read this year.

Speaking of which, my current Top 5 novels:
1. The Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Doestoyevsky
2. All the King’s Men, Robert Penn Warren
3. For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
4. Moby-Dick, Hermann Melville
5. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

I know, first of all, that they’re not as a whole very unorthodox choices, but I haven’t read nearly enough to be snobbishly obscure yet. And second, I realize I just listed “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” above “Crime and Punishment”. Get over it.

No comments: