Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Odds and Ends

* My dog, Fibbonacci, is crazy in one respect. Normally a harmless mutt terrier, she goes berserk when she sees the UPS truck. Not the garbage truck, not FedEx, only that brown van with the globe painted on the side. Maybe Nacci was taken away from her family via the shipping company, or perhaps she’s trying to warn us that I’ll be run over by that truck one day. Or maybe she’s just a ridiculous dog.

* Our family room clock is having battery problems, and is slowing to a halt. I calculated how far off it is, and told myself to subtract seven hours or add five. Then, I became strangely enamored with the cadence of that phrase. Try it:
Subtract seven hours, or add five.
Is this just some strange quirk that’s peculiar to me? Or does everybody, once in a while, read uninteresting prose sentences as free verse?

* And yesterday, my sister and I resolved our quarrels over who watches what when, by agreeing to forego TV for a week. Today is Day Two; instead of watching SportsCenter, Robot Wars, VH1, and The Daily Show, I read from Søren Kierkegaard. Sadly, I still feel like watching television.

P.S. I know the name should be “Fibonacci”, not “Fibbonacci”. I was ten years old when we named her. Give me a break.

P.P.S. Fhqwhgads.

No comments: