Friday, October 10, 2003

Ready for my Close-Up

Campus life has been disturbed to some degree recently by a movie shooting here. They’re adapting Proof for the big screen, and it happens to be set at this university’s graduate math department.

They set up star trailers and catered lunches on the quads, take over Stuart Hall (putting up signs to say “Eckhart Hall” on the outside; apparently the real Eckhart is too busy or not photogenic enough), film a stairway shot just outside my classroom. PS2 (you know, pirate extraordinare of the math faculty) coached Anthony Hopkins on how to lecture like a real math professor, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jake Gyllenhaal have been spotted, and friends of mine have been used as extras.

All in all, a quite interesting diversion from doing work. I can’t pretend I’m indifferent to the Hollywood presence in Hyde Park, but the filming doesn’t really affect me in any concrete way. I will have to see it when it comes out, though.

Current Highlight of the Day: carrying a chalkboard outside to enjoy the great weather during math class
Current Music: Lean On Me, Al Green

No comments: