Monday, November 17, 2003

Argh...

1. I recently found out that Thanksgiving is next Thursday, not this Thursday. I’d thought this would be a short week, and that I’d be heading home soon.

2. I’ve apparently figured out how to turn off my alarm clock without waking up. This is not a good thing.

3. The amount of information that I need to absorb to be a mathematician is continually increasing. I was working today with the grad student who runs my Directed Reading Program:

“Okay, the easiest proof of Riemann-Roch is the Serre duality theorem. Patrick, have you heard of Serre duality?”
“No.”
“Okay, it’s related to Poincare duality. You’ve heard of Poincare duality?”
“Let me think...” (pause) “No.”
“It’s sort of like the connection between singular cohomology and... oh, wait, have you done cohomology?”
“Um, no.”
“Oh. Well, you will.”

No comments: