Friday, November 07, 2003

Machiavellian Barbecue

You know, I really meant "Mongolian Barbecue", what I had for dinner tonight. But Machiavellian works even better. I’ve just completed the gauntlet:

Thursday, 12 PM: I was remarkably well prepared for the Math Logic midterm; I finished half an hour early. So far, so good. Except that I knew how my paper had gone...

Thursday, 1:30 PM: Drat drat drat. I wrote the paper, edited it, then realized it didn’t really fit the prompt. I was supposed to answer "what does The Discourses tell us about history?" and I was too caught up in discussing what Machiavelli actually meant. Well, excuse me for actually caring about a person’s ideas, irrespective of their $@*!ing historical context...
(Nota bene the following: 1. I don't yet know what my paper was graded. 2. This is civilization class, not philosophy; it's supposed to be about history. 3. It’s really all my fault for not beginning the paper until Tuesday. 4. I do understand how important historical context can be. 5. I realized the flaws of my rant as I was writing it just now.)

Friday, 1:30 PM: The Reps of Finite Groups midterm made me wish I had back that half hour I gained on the Math Logic midterm. It required so much writing my hand hurt. Basically, I had 50 minutes to write out the full proofs for three of the most complicated theorems of the quarter. I just know I've made crucial oversights; I hate not having the time to at least think over my responses.

Friday, 6:30 PM: The reward. Six Michelsonians up to Wrigleyville to eat at the Mongolian Barbecue there. You get a bowl of stuff (a lot of meats, sirloin and calimari included, and a good number of sauces/spices) and they cook it for you, semi-Hibachi style, with sword-like implements on a big heated iron slab. It was pretty good; highlights included Russell and Dennis making each other “torture bowls” to trade, then seeing who gave up first. So the week ended well, and I should post Ben Folds/Ben Lee concert highlights after I see them tomorrow...

No comments: