Thursday, January 22, 2004

Since It's January 22nd

This evening, I watched "Silent Scream" for the first time.

Should we return our laws to exactly the way they were in 1972 (or whatever earlier year we call 'the golden era')? No. Society dealt badly with poor or unmarried pregnant women, in a way which led to an underground network of secret, dangerous abortions. But to acknowledge those problems does not mean to give up on them, which seems to be the de facto solution now. "We don't want to consider troubled pregnant women as a social concern, so we'll just look the other way and tell them they have a 'choice', so why don't they just do the prudent thing and use it?"

There were around 4,000 abortions today. Are you willing to tell me that the majority of those women would not have wanted to have that child under any reasonable circumstance? No decision occurs in a vacuum. Men who refuse to be fathers and who threaten to leave, employers who treat pregnancy as a fireable offense, families that would rather keep up their image by having the pregnancy disappear... it seems to me that not all of these 4,000 women are exercising some elevated and free "choice" here anyway.

Am I a misogynist? Somehow I doubt that. I believe that most of today's abortions are less desired than one might think, that the enormous figure of 1.4 million per year can and should decrease, and that eventually it can and should cease entirely. It requires more from friends, family, churches, boyfriends and husbands of pregnant women than from politicians. I don't have much faith in politics, anyway.

If you're still reading, Peter Nixon linked to a series of posts from last year on the subject. He's more balanced than I care to be right now, and made me think.

That's all for now. I'll be at UPenn this weekend for a College Bowl tournament. Hope it's warmer there than here.

No comments: