Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time,
I'll give it right back one of these days...


What do you mean, nobody got angry at my meta-political rant? I guess I'll have to try harder next time around. I never did get to that systematic exploration of voting ethics, mostly because I'm too lazy to look up relevant documents in Catholic social thought. That ought to alarm me more than it does.

I watched two movies this past week. The Manchurian Candidate was pretty poor, in my estimation; it suffers from the extreme predictability of at least two major plot twists, as well as an ending that betrays all the rules of the previous 100 minutes and is a few deleted scenes (I assume) short of really making sense. And the movie has nothing in the way of great acting, visual imagery or deeper meaning to make the plot problems forgivable.

Hero was much, much better, although it too suffered from predictable stretches and didn't live up to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's standard for supernatural swordplay. The film showed great visual imagination in parts, and it beautifully illustrated the power of word or idea. Of course, the central concept of the movie was a reflection of communist China- the pure dream of utopia that accompanies any violent revolution. Still, I'd recommend this movie for a pensive evening.

Ten days till I head back to Chicago. But then, who's counting?

No comments: