Thursday, May 12, 2005

I. So I've finally updated the blog bar. It's all alphabetical now; I felt bad about any sort of non-arbitrary prioritizing between friends' blogs.

II. I've been busy yet again with Scav Hunt. And for the second year running, I wound up in an Edward Scissorhands costume. This time, an Edward Child-Safety-Scissor Hands Costumes. Yeah. The pictures of that aren't up yet, but you can see the photo gallery anyway.

III. I have no excuse for the following U of C adaptation, though:

(cue fuzzbox intro)

I-can't-get-no--Sat-is-fac-tion,
I-can't-get-no--Sat-is-fac-tion,
'Cause I try, and I try, And I try, and I try,
I CAN'T GET NO-
I CAN'T GET NO-

When I'm sitting in the Reg,
Adam Smith goes on a tangent
And he's telling me more and more
Useless nail-making information
Factories all over his nation,
I can't get no- ah, no no, no!

Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I-can't-get-no--Sat-is-fac-tion,
I-can't-get-no--Sat-is-fac-tion,
'Cause I try, and I try, And I try, and I try,
I CAN'T GET NO-
I CAN'T GET NO-

When I'm reading Augustine
And the saint goes on to tell me
How good his God can be,
But he can't be right 'cause he doesn't share
The same biases as me,
I can't get no- ah, no no, no!

Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I-can't-get-no--Sat-is-fac-tion,
I-can't-get-no--Thesis traction,
'Cause I try, and I try,
And I try, and I try,
I CAN'T GET NO-
I CAN'T GET NO-

When I'm writing for my grade,
And I'm redoin' this and editing that,
And I'm arguing with Socrates,
Who tells me buddy better write this maybe next day,
You're still living the un-examined way,
I can't get no, ah no no no

Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I can't get no, I can't get no
I can't get no satisfaction
No satisfaction, no satisfaction, no satisfaction...

IV. My Excuse For The Above

I work as a math tutor Wednesday nights in Harper Library. While waiting for students to show up on one slow evening, I started looking around for reading material and ran into their section on contemporary music. I've been reading two fascinating books: "Sixties Rock" by Michael Hicks, and "Rock of Ages" by Ward, Stokes and Tucker.

I picked these out because my musical taste has, in recent years, been skewed toward the 1960s and early 70s: my current playlist has many tracks from the following: Hendrix; Dylan; the Beatles; the Allman Brothers; Crosby, Stills and Nash; Cream; James Taylor; early Santana; early Chicago. So I was really intrigued to find out more about the emergence of rock in these years.

"Sixties Rock" goes into the technical details, showing the sophistication that I never knew existed in garage or psychedelic rock. Sometimes it's out on a limb, as when it connects the fuzzbox on "Satisfaction" to the Futurist philosophical movement. But it makes up for it with a detailed and engrossing deconstruction of the Doors' "Light My Fire", and other treats.

"Rock of Ages", commissioned by Rolling Stone magazine, focuses less on detailed analysis of the music, and more on the stories behind rock and roll: the transition of Bob Dylan from hootenanny to Highway 61, the organization that was Motown, and the like.

All together, it makes me wish I had more disposable income to blow on music.

No comments: