Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tales of Brave Ulysses

On account of trying to be a proper host for my cosmopolitan sister, I assented to an expedition into the city today. San Francisco's geography has in the past buffaloed me to no end, but believe me when I tell you that all I lacked was a map. That having been rectified, look at our itinerary from the day:

Here There Be Dragons

1. We took the ferry line from Oakland to Pier 39. Amazingly, we had a clear sunny view of the whole San Francisco Bay. Katie didn't believe that it would have been so difficult to swim ashore from Alcatraz.
2. We ate a dim sum lunch at Ton Kiang. It's way out there, but I love it. Try the barbecued pork buns!
3. Katie had to shop for a friend in Japan-town.
4. She wanted a place with trendy shopping. I came up with the Haight-Ashbury district, which turned out to be an interesting place to stroll and window-shop. All of the vintage clothes there were far too hip for me; as Katie said, "I think you're a retail kind of person, Pat."
5. Sure enough, she had me improve my wardrobe when we went downtown, with jeans that fit me and shirts I haven't yet faded into oblivion.
6. At last, dinner and gelato in North Beach, before taking bus and train back to Berkeley. It was a good day.

No comments: