Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Is Irish evil universal?

So, yesterday was Sophomoric Philosophical Position Monday, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Fully-grown math students, who ought to know better by now, espousing things like "how can I know that the rest of you aren't all automatons?" and "there's no difference between humans and the other animals". I mean, c'mon people, there's a reason Aristotle included inductive as well as deductive reasoning in the category of knowledge.

Has anyone else noticed an Enron Effect in recent Hollywood movies? That is to say, the foulest of the villains turns out to be a wealthy corporate entity, destroying not out of malice but out of venal profitmongering. Such a character doesn't have the emotional resonance of the usual (Irish) Evil Overlord, IMHO, and sometimes it feels way out of place in the movie.

It's been an interesting week, and I'm in an odd state. Last week saw one of my more dramatic crises of faith; as much as I laugh about foolish philosophical ideas, I founder upon them myself every so often. And just as it happened every other time, a wise and holy friend helped me out of my hopeless funk.

(Side conversation: Vanessa, reading your analogy of the flashing neon light in the brain that says "CERTAIN KNOWLEDGE", or rather the absence of such a light, was extraordinarily eerie; I've had the same mental image with me for a while. There doesn't seem to be an unambiguous experiential difference between that which is known and that which is opined, and either despair or humility follows from that realization.)

Today's cryptic clue: it's a smaller world than I'd imagined, but I still don't know what I'm doing!

No comments: