Monday, August 21, 2006

More Things That Make Me Happy:

*Philosophical discussion. Doubly so when I can get an interlocutor to concede that a relativist position on religion is really silly and more than a little intellectually dishonest.

*Beer (esp. in conjunction with the above).

*The new Woody Allen movie, Scoop. It was the most fun I've had at a new movie since I don't know when. It's clever, yes, it's brilliantly acted, but there are two things in particular that elevate it: Woody Allen's perfection in the supporting role (honestly, if he'd been willing to step aside from the main roles more often, he'd have some Best Supporting Actor awards under his belt) and the perfect tension the movie maintains throughout. The suspense of the murder-mystery plot is heightened by the fact that none of his characters ever seem to be in control of the situation.

*A new calculator. (I mean, c'mon, it's pretty awesome for a non-graphing machine...)

*Dostoyevsky. At this moment, The Idiot is distracting me from Don Quixote (sorry!).

*Paying off the smaller of my two student loans completely!

*The Incredibles, but everybody else already knew how great that was. I loved the cleverness of the action sequences, with well-thought-out escapades that were never gimmicky. Speaking of brilliant movies I'd never seen before, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was a surprisingly... um... excellent comedy. Dierdre and her family have greatly rectified my dearth of such filmic touchstones this summer. Next up: Kung Fu Hustle, or possibly Time Bandits.

*Meeting a very nice and intelligent girl at Mass in San Francisco, then realizing during our introductions that I already know her through the intarwubs and her fine blog, Basia Me, Catholica Sum. 'Tis a small blogosphere.

*Peach cobbler, pork chops, the first batch of chili for the autumn. (The first two were the doing of landlady/good friend Barbara, in order to send off another of the tenants with some great meals before he leaves for Ontario. The last was my contribution from my mother's Illinois recipe; I was pleased to have found that my housemates devoured all but two bowls of my double batch, leaving just enough for some fantastic reheated-chili lunch.)

*Laudatory adjectives, apparently. I seem to be reusing them quite a bit here. Mayhap I should go back and change some of them to words like 'scintillating' and 'frabjous'. Nah.

No comments: