Sunday, September 24, 2006

$85.49: The exact value of a broken heart.

I thought I should share this with you: Ten Rules for Handling Disagreement Like A Christian, advice that shocked me with its good sense and which is routinely disregarded all over the Catholic blogosphere. It's not the most academic prose, but why need it be? (Favorite line: "This rule is sometimes referred to as the 'Darth Vader Axiom.'")

And it was written by Oakland's own Bishop Vigneron, a man doing well in a sometimes-impossible post. He could use some prayers, incidentally, haven broken his arm and wrist in a fall.

Speaking of Michigan (His Excellency was bishop in Detroit and Sault Ste. Marie before being sent to the Left Coast), Sufjan Stevens' album of that name is also excellent, though the repetition of certain melodic structures in Michigan and Illinois has me wondering whether he could expand his musical range. Still, "Vito's Ordination Song" alone is worth getting the album.

It was a heck of a week; as the quarterback from Duke quipped after finishing a 36-0 loss to Virginia Tech, "I'm lucky to come out in one piece." I made the mistake of taking a weekend off from doing math, and I paid for it dearly. But there's excitement ahead, including the establishment of the Lepanto League at Cal!

Current mood: kingly

No comments: