Thursday, October 26, 2006

At the Buffet, Water is on the House!

I awoke this morning, as usual, to KFOG on my radio alarm clock. The second song was a John Mayer cover of Jimi Hendrix's Bold As Love, in which he simply duplicated every note of the original on his usual guitar. And I just thought, "Did nobody tell him what it means to cover a song?"

I mean, if you do a decent job just copying the original, then good for you: you've proved that you belong in a Jimi Hendrix tribute band. Covers are supposed to bring something new to the song, the way Jimi famously did to Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower", or as Eric Clapton and Duane Allman did to Hendrix's "Little Wing"- not imitating Jimi's free-tempo jamming, but using the material to bring in their own strengths.

I mean, this isn't the first "tribute band"-style cover I've heard in recent years (the other ones escape my memory, but there was one in particular which is pretty difficult to distinguish from the original). They just make me ask, "Why? What's the point, aside from making money?"

Plus, I was treated to four minutes of Mr. Marblemouth singing "AND IT'S AWL, AWL BAWLD AS LAWWWVE..."

Oh well. Doesn't irritate me as much as those commercials that use a montage of Vietnam, Martin Luther King, and Hurricane Katrina to sell a Chevy truck. I mean, seriously, do they have working consciences at that ad agency?

No comments: