Friday, December 08, 2006

I will put enmity between you and the woman,

and between your offspring and hers;
he will strike at your head,
while you strike at his heel.

Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception! (No, not the Annunciation. It's a Catholic thing, the Immaculate Conception of Mary, free from original sin as is fitting for the mother of the Lord.)

I'm raising my head out of the miasma of semester-end stress (all fully deserved, dear Reader; I've been procrastinating on this mathematical paper for months) to say that I really have not much to say, not on an intellectual level at least. Personally, God continues to bless me far beyond my deserts.

But in the realm of ideas, despite all my readings of Socrates, it has taken me until this year to truly acknowledge that I know nothing. I admire the brilliant points made by the men and women whose blogs I visit, but I can't help but feel that I have precious little to contribute. Believe me, my pretentious arrogance continues unabated in person, but in print when I have time to reflect, I feel rather abashed about my attempts to articulate quite anything.

So I rather solicit ideas from you on something that stumped me- or rather, I should say, that I know but found myself entirely unable to explain. Recently I had the occasion (on a flight with a stop in Salt Lake City) for a genuinely interesting religious conversation with a Mormon. I tried, but utterly failed, to explain why it would be metaphysically impossible for a creature to become a god, as the Mormons believe the best souls will. (More precisely, if I were to 'become' the Creator of a universe and not simply a sub-creator, making from what already is, that entity would not be me, however much it resembled me.) I said a bunch of things about how creaturedom is essential to our nature, but my interlocutor was unsatisfied with the attempt, and so was I. What do you say?

No comments: