Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Veni, O Iesse virgula,

ex hostis tuos ungula,
de spectu tuos tartari
educ et antro barathri.

Gaude! Gaude!
Emmanuel
nacetur pro te, Israel.


O come, Thou Rod of Jesse's stem,
from ev'ry foe deliver them
that trust Thy mighty power to save,
and give them vict'ry o'er the grave.



My students' final was held in Haas Pavilion, the basketball arena. I thought that meant there were classrooms tucked away, but no, it meant that 300 students were doing linear algebra on the basketball court, with over a thousand empty seats watching from above. I barely resisted the urge to grab the microphone Dr. V was using and say:

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR CAL BEARS LINEAR ALGEBRA TEAM WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION TODAY!!!"

Oh wait. Come to think of it, I actually succumbed to that temptation. No, seriously. Check that one off my list.

No comments: